Tuesday 8 April 2014

Ancillary Text Production - Designing of my Record Label's logo

This is the logo for my fictional record company that my artist is signed to.

I had to create this for the back cover of my 6 panel digipack as it is conventional of its form to have the record company’s name and logo in the small print below the track listing and to the left of the bar code.
Due to my chosen genre being indie, I thought it would be fitting for the record company to be an independent one as opposed to a major label as it is very rare to see a song of this genre come from a multi-national conglomerate company.

I decided on the name of the record label due to independent record labels being associated with a gritty, raw sound. I thought that the name ‘Scratch Records’ would be appropriate due to the word ‘scratch’ being synonymous with ‘gritty’ and ‘raw’ whilst being a play on words of the phrase ‘scratched record’.
When creating the logo I took inspiration from the logo for the already existing, independent record label ‘XL Recordings’. The house font had a simplistic and worn away style which I found to be very effective and also reflecting of the label’s music. 
In order to make sure my logo was dissimilar to XL’s, I decided to add a small image which referenced the company name. Hence why I chose 3 simplistic black claw marks going down the centre of the logo.
I used Adobe Photoshop cs6 to create the logo for my fictional record company. I lowered the opacity on the image of the claws so that they didn't distract from the writing. Then I placed the house font, which I got from dafont.com, above and below the central image of the claw marks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment